What Is Canine College?
Canine College is a continuation course for those puppies who have attended the Happy Buddies’ Puppy School course or *an equivalent course with a similar level of training.
As with all Happy Buddies’ training, Canine College only uses kind and reward based training techniques that are fun and easy for both humans and canines. There are no harsh methods used and such methods won’t be allowed in class.
During the course, you will build on the work you did during Puppy School by advancing your dog’s basic obedience skills and making them more reliable with the use of distance, duration and distraction (the 3 D’s) as well as learning new things. Some of the topics covered in Canine College include:
- Focus work
- Send to bed
- Wait - building a reliable wait, introducing distance and manners around doors and on roadsides
- Recall from 'wait' to join you in a formal finish
- Impulse control work - improving reliability with the 'leave it' cue
- Drop - encouraging your dog to drop items they have in their mouths willingly
- Heelwork improvements - both accuracy and technique (on and off lead)
- Jumping Up prevention - encouraging more polite greetings and teaching incompatible behaviours
- Emergency Stop
- Introduction to agility
- Trick Training
The course consists of 6 weekly sessions lasting 1 hour each and will be run with no more than 8 dogs – this means more individual attention and support for you and your dog!
As well as the 6 weekly classes, you can benefit from after class support via phone or email if you need it and if that isn’t enough – your dog will receive a CERTIFICATE and ROSETTE on completion of the course!
If you are unable to attend my group Canine College classes you may want to consider my 121 Canine College Course which takes place at your own home at convenient times for you.
*If you did not attend Puppy School, but attended an equivalent course, you may need to have a 121 session before enrolling on Canine College. This will be discussed with you when you make an enquiry.